Monday 16 May 2011

Church, Frisbees, and Making Friends

Hello Friends!
So yesterday was Sunday, so I did not go to work (no one is there). Instead, I went to church in morning and experienced the African church to its fullest! It was really fun, I am going to take a video of their worship next week. Once the associate pastor realized I had a digital camera, he said “WHY did you not use it?” and I replied  “I did not want to be rude, taking a video without asking” and he was like “no no no you take as many as you like!”. I was asked to stand up in front of the whole congregation and introduce myself. I was also invited to a wedding on June 4th. After church I went to dinner and met some of the workers who are constructing the road through town right now. The road to the nearest town is very rough, so the Chinese have come in to build a paved road. What is currently a 4 hour car ride will be 1.5 hours instead to the nearest town to the south. It's interesting hearing about the Chinese development projects in the paper, and witnessing it first hand outside my front door. After dinner, I went to explore and read my bible outside in the remotest area possible. I love being outside to think and reflect! At home I like to go outside to be alone. It’s hard to hide outside here because everywhere you walk, people cry “Mazungu” (white person) or “Sista!” to get your attention. I am hoping the novelty will wear off in the next month or so. While I was looking for a place to chill and read my bible, a bunch of kids called to me, as usual. But instead of just waving and walking on by, I pulled out my Frisbee and we spent almost an hour playing with it together. They made me promise to come back tomorrow to play again. I kept walking down the road and found another bunch of kids, so the Frisbee came out again. I am excited to go back to that part of town to play with them, and may even capture a video if I can. I am just worried that every kid in town will show up, now that I have promised the Frisbee again.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome day! African church to the fullest and (kinda) time alone and frisbee on more than one occasion! I wish I was there to enjoy it with you. Much love from the Arkell living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful!!! :) i am so happy for you and the adventure you are in right now. thinking of you and praying for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is using you in ways you never even thought about Karina! I'm praying for you. Love Tess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy every moment of it Karina, it will go by fast! love you <3

    ReplyDelete